Foreword by Gervase Phinn.
Tackles transition head on, provides countless examples of how primary and secondary schools can work together more effectively to ensure students enjoy a smooth and effective move from primary to secondary school. It advocates several different approaches to facilitating this from soft federations between schools to the all-through 3-18 solution.
This practical, pragmatic text places young people at the centre of their learning and provides complete guidance on all that is needed to arrange activities between schools. The wide range of activities catered for includes:
- Short term ‘one off’ activities for primary and secondary pupils to carry out together
- Longer projects that allow primary and secondary pupils to develop working relationships
- Activities which place the pupil in the role of educator for others
- Projects which are ideal for collaboration between teachers with very different experiences and skills
- Development tasks for leaders of schools who are keen to develop closer relationships with each other
- Guidance on different routes of collaboration
Dave Harris found that working with unfamiliar age groups challenged his truths of education and reminded him why he first joined the teaching profession. The more you work with other phases of education the more clearly you view the differences and the more you understand why so many pupils suffer at transition between schools.
Are You Dropping The Baton? gives teachers practical help to remove the boundaries to progress and help rekindle their passion for teaching.