Literacy? That’s someone else’s job, isn’t it?
This is a book for all teachers on how to make explicit to students those things we can do implicitly. In the Teachers’ Standards it states that all teachers must demonstrate an understanding of, and take responsibility for, promoting high standards of literacy, articulacy, and the correct use of standard English, whatever the teacher’s specialist subject. In The Secret of Literacy, David Didau inspires teachers to embrace the challenge of improving students’ life chances through improving their literacy.
- Why is literacy important?
- Oracy - improving classroom talk
- How should we teach reading?
- How to get students to value writing
- How written feedback and marking can support literacy.