This book is based on two basic assumptions. Firstly, dialogue, conversation, reflection and challenge are fundamental aspects of effective learning and developing personal understanding. Secondly, school leaders do not have sufficient time to engage in these activities – they are always the first casualties.
Designed to provide stimulus materials for school leaders to support their personal development, Leadership Dialogues encourages personal reflection, dialogue with a coach or mentor and conversations in leadership teams. It includes short think pieces, case studies, diagnostic reviews, selected quotations on a particular theme and questions for discussion and reflection.
The content is clustered into themes including:
- The changing context of education / strategic thinking
- Alternative perspectives – international comparisons
- Understanding effective leadership
- Getting management right – making schools work
- Leading teaching and learning
- Developing staff capacity
- Performance and accountability
- Working collaboratively
- Engaging with the community
- Personal resilience and sustainability
The book is a valuable and practical resource for leadership teams. Much of the content is included on a free CD-ROM of printable resources.
Education Resources Awards finalist - Best Educational Book 2016.